Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just Like the Old Bumper Sticker Used to Say

Scripture
John 4:50b "The man took Jesus at his word and departed"

Observation
The man's son was sick, and he asked Jesus to come back to his house(which was about 20 miles away) and pray for him before he died. Jesus told the man, "You may go, Your son will live". So the man took Jesus at his word and started back to his home.

Application
Am I taking Jesus at his word? Do I truly, deep down take Jesus at his word, then believe that word with all my hearts content and then take action on it. This guy took Jesus at his word, believed that what Jesus had just told him and started home to see his son. He really believed it. What would I do, or what do I do now? Would I wait around to see if Jesus really meant what he had said, would I sit around with worry not really knowing what my next step should be? Currently, do I justify NOT taking Jesus at his word because that was then and now is now-things are different?, do I start to take action but when faced with an obstacle conclude that IT must not have been for me?. I need to be like the Capernaum Royal Official and just take Jesus at his word. Like the old bumper sticker used to read...."If God Said It, I Believe It".

Prayer
Father, Thank you for the reminder that what Jesus said is truth, that I need to take Jesus at His word and take action on that word. Amen.

No comments: